Spring Up by Jennie Bennett

 April 30, 2023

 

This weekend, I attended a women's retreat with my church. I followed the always dependable Google Maps to the beautiful retreat center only to find myself down a dirt road that led to nowhere. A severe spring storm was quickly approaching as a little panic set in. Eventually, I spotted my good friend on the roadside who had just arrived to direct us where to go. Whew! What a relief! Being lost and alone is a terrifying feeling until you find comfort in a familiar face that knows exactly where to go. 

Throughout the weekend, we learned about spiritual disciplines such as prayer and sabbath rest and how to apply them in order to allow God room to grow us closer to Him. During an extended time of silence and solitude, I was given the opportunity to be alone with the Lord, read and meditate on His Word, talk to Him and just sit still and enjoy His presence.
Through application of the above mentioned practices while reading Mark 10:46-52, I was able to find specific words that God was drawing my attention to.

Jesus Heals Blind Bartimaeus

46 And they came to Jericho. And as he was leaving Jericho with his disciples and a great crowd, Bartimaeus, a blind beggar, the son of Timaeus, was sitting by the roadside. 47And when he heard that it was Jesus of Nazareth, he began to cry out and say, “Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!” 48And many rebuked him, telling him to be silent. But he cried out all the more, “Son of David, have mercy on me!” 49And Jesus stopped and said, “Call him.” And they called the blind man, saying to him, “Take heart. Get up; he is calling you.” 50And throwing off his cloak, he sprang up and came to Jesus. 51And Jesus said to him, “What do you want me to do for you?” And the blind man said to him, “Rabbi, let me recover my sight.” 52And Jesus said to him, “Go your way; your faith has made you well.” And immediately he recovered his sight and followed him on the way.

A few words that stood out to me were: sprang up, immediately, followed, mercy and faith. What is God teaching me personally at this moment? How can I apply these verses to my life? What do I need to hear from the Lord right now? We were challenged to read these verses multiple times. Each time I read these verses and asked specific questions, God continued to take me deeper as He spoke through His Word. Most of the time when I pray, I do most of the talking. There is much more to be learned in listening and enjoying God's presence.

First of all, notice that the crowd rebuked Bartimaeus and told him to be silent. I began to ask God if I have been listening to the big lie from the enemy that I need to 'fix it' myself because God is taking too long or what if this or that? Ouch! Bartimaeus didn't listen to the crowd or the voice of the enemy telling him to be silent. In fact, scripture tells us he cried out all the more! Oh, that I could cry out to God to heal me all the more when the enemy tries to silence me.

During scripture meditation we were encouraged to write a single sentence of what the Spirit is saying through His Word. This brought about another question the Lord spoke to my heart. What am I blinded to at this very moment? Bartemaeus sprang up and came to Jesus. He didn't stop and worry about what people would think or try to fix his problem. He didn't waste any time. In fact, he threw off his cloak. Nothing could slow him down. Jesus knew he was blind. He knew what he was going to ask but Jesus still asked him, "What do you want me to do for you? With complete abandon, faith and trust, he comes to Jesus and follows Him.

As I was sitting outside during a wind advisory, I felt the wind rushing all about me in different directions. I was reminded of my rushing mind and how it takes me in all different directions even while trying to enjoy God's presence. The many distractions of life are my greatest blind spot to the presence of God and connection with others. One of the speakers said it like this, "Busyness steals what we long for with one another." My prayer is for the Holy Spirit to be the rushing wind that immediately overtakes my mind as I spring up in faith.

          Hebrews 12:1-2

1Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, 2fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

What sin am I getting so easily entangled in? I pray God would take off the blinders and allow me to see HIM more clearly, the founder and perfecter of our faith. My desire is to be keenly aware of His presence and mercy ALL day long as I fix my eyes on Him.

The NLT version of Mark 10:52 uses the word road. Instantly the man could see and he followed Jesus down the road. Who or what am I following down the road? Is it the unreliable Google Maps or the familiar face of my best friend, Jesus? He knows the way because HE IS THE WAY!

John 14:6 

Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Lord, let us trust your way today. Remove the blinders from our eyes and remind us to spring up in faith to follow you down the road. We trust you wherever it may lead because YOU are with us. Thank you for leading us down the best road where we grow closer to you and learn to hear your voice. Help us follow in obedience and not the way we think is best. Thank you for your mercy, your presence and how much you love us and are waiting so patiently for us to look to you and ask for healing. 

In Jesus Name, Amen. 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Soft Soil

Healing Presence by Jennie Bennett 12/27/22